Winnipeg Southwest Rapid Transitway Project Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Winnipeg Southwest Rapid Transitway (Stage 2) and Pembina Highway Underpass Project is comprised of significant infrastructure components in the southwest quadrant of the city including:
- design and construction of Stage 2 of the Southwest Transitway (7.6km)
- addition of active transportation infrastructure
- renewal and expansion of the Pembina Underpass
- connections to the University of Manitoba and Investors Group Field
- operations and maintenance to include Stage 2 and previously-built Stage 1 (3.6km)
The project will help accommodate anticipated population growth in southwest Winnipeg that is expected to lead to an estimated 40 per cent traffic increase on Pembina Highway by 2030.
Once completed, the project improvements, which are consistent with the Council-approved Transportation Master Plan (2011), will allow for transportation options (buses, active transportation, cars, and trucks) to operate in a more sustainable and integrated manner.
These benefits will begin upon project completion and last well into the future.